Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Creating the perfect fermentation chamber

As any home brewer knows one of the most important things in the fermentation process is temperature control. After making several brews that didn't come out the greatest I decided to start researching and designing a fermentation chamber to fit in a basement storage room.  My final design was to make it into 2 individual chambers, one large enough for 1 6 gallon carboy and the other large enough to fit 2 6 gallon carboys in.  I added slide out shelves for easy access to the fermenters.





Each chamber is controlled by its own temperature control that can heat or cool the chamber to maintain a constant temperature inside.  The STC-1000 temperature controllers where purchased off of ebay for a reasonable price.  The temperature controller for the first chamber controls a 4" inline exhaust that is linked between the fermentation chamber and my kezzer to pull cold air in, and a return to exhaust the air inside back to the kezzer.  The heating is provided by a brewers belt.  The second chamber gets its cold air by a computer fan controlled by the second temperature controller,  the heat is provided by a reptile heating cable spread under the slide out drawers.



Over the past months I have brewed several ales with great results in this, but the big test was recently when I brewed my first lager.  I was able to maintain 52F in the first chamber for the primary fermentation of the lager without any problems.  In my book that was a great success and the improvement in my beer is very noticeable. Visit My project shop for more DIY projects.









No comments:

Post a Comment